Thursday, June 19, 2008

Return to the HAH- Our Home Away From Home

We had intended to begin our posts after our return from Ohio with the announcement of our new baby granddaughter Samantha Opal, but I am wading through more than 700 pictures trying to select only the best (you might think I would consider posting all 700- but I'm not- it would take hours- literally hours- to upload- and even I couldn't to that). So I'll return to that task tomorrow- or the next- or the next- or than maybe I'll just have to wait for Don to EFFICIENTLY approach such a daunting task.

But today- my first day back- and first day back to work - was so absolutely perfect that it just seemed a day that had to be enjoyed- a day enjoyed in its beauty. I enjoyed it ALONE. Don is in San Diego at a conference. He got up at 4am and flew out while I was still fast asleep. For him this day has been rather an extension of our homecoming. Rimma and Kevin and Elizabeth (Don's goddaughter) are at the conference- Don reports that Elizabeth is impeccably dressed- and beautiful as usual. But enough of Don- I'm the one who had such a perfect day.

I didn't work hard - in fact it didn't feel like work at all- just visits with delightful people you are glad to know for a while- And I found close parking places in unexpected places- And I have the Smart (the Too Cute) back from the car doctor with a new window.

And the weather is unbelievable- mid to high 60s or low 70s with a slight breeze- clear blue sky- Everyone is smiling it is such a beautiful day. We all feel like we're on a holiday.

So when I got home I walked down to the Marina and ate at Pacific Catch- our currently favorite restaurant...


I had the Wasabi Rice Bowl- my favorite (BBQ Unagi- Japanese eel with seaweed, sprouts, brown rice and pickled ginger) and a glass of a California Sauvignon Blanc.

And then a walk to the Bay.
With the city to my back...

Alcatraz to my right...


And the Golden Gate Bridge to my left...

The day was so perfect- with just the right wind that the Bay was filled with sail boats- and I watched as they sailed in at the end of the beautiful day...


I took the bus up the hill to Tully's coffee-

Better than Seattle's Best- and it is from Seattle (the locals are partial to Peet's- the original San Fran- or rather Berkeley- coffee house- But we love Tully's). The Dutchman Blend is from Pacific/Indonesia Beans and has a rich flavor with just a hint of chocolate- And we only had one pot left which is now gone- when we got home yesterday.

Then I walked the hill home and paused at the corner before coming into the apartment and looked left....

And then right...

And felt so high from the beauty of it all. There's plenty of time to sort those 700+ pictures... But tonight the beauty of the city called.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Good blog, Mom! I am glad you had a wonderful day back to work/ your dream! Love you! Am

Lucas said...

Wonderful post Aunt Max! Loved the photos. I almost feel like I spent that perfect day with you!

Anonymous said...

Makes me even more motivated to plan that trip!It was so good to see you guys... make us miss you all the more!
Love,
Kels

Anonymous said...

Glad you're happy to be back to HAH Mom! Looking forward to seeing pics from your trip. love,b